MIGF COMPOSITION COMPETITION 2017
The MIGF composition competition will be presided by the extraordinary composer Orlando Jacinto Garcia (FIU) and joined by two other distinguished judges: the award-winning composer Carlos Rafael Rivera (University of Miami) and the fulbright scholar/composer Jacob Sudol (FIU). The competition welcomes composers to submit new guitar compositions for solo guitar (with or without electronics).
- Open to composers of all nationalities and ages.
- Compositions submitted must be written for solo guitar.
- Compositions must be written for the six-stringed classical guitar.
- Alternate tunings are acceptable.
- Fixed media and/or live electronics may be included.
- Compositions submitted must be in a duration of no more than 15 minutes (10 minutes or less preferred).
- Composers may submit multiple works.
- Compositions submitted must be unpublished and should not have been previously awarded.
Application Deadline: December 20, 2016.
Application Fee: $15 for each work. Multiple works may be submitted.
1. First, complete online payment through ticket solutions here. After completing payment, you will be provided an “order number”. This is necessary for the next step. Please make a pdf copy of your payment “Print at Home” receipt.
2. Download and fill out the application form (PDF). Please enter the “order number” obtained through the above process in the appropriate field of the form. This will provide proof of payment along with the pdf copy of your payment “Print at Home” receipt. The application form is a fillable pdf that may be filled out on the computer or printed and filled out manually. Either way, it must be printed and signed before submitting via email in the next step.
3. Please submit the following materials along with the completed application form (PDF) via email with attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read “MIGF Composition Competition 2017” followed by your full name.
- Score of the submitted work in PDF format. All pages of the pdf should be anonymous (without the real name of the composer) and the first page of score (and parts) should be labeled with a pseudonym (nickname), title of the work, and date of composition only.
- If the composition includes electronics, provide the tape or maxpat file or a website link for the fixed media (if any).
- If available, a recording of the submitted work in mp3 audio file format is recommended (MIDI is acceptable).
- Completed application form (PDF).
- PDF copy of your payment “Print at Home” receipt.
2017 MIGF Composition Competition Results
Winner: Hachè Costa (Spain)
Composition: Õ | Omaggio to Federico García Lorca for solo guitar
Honorable Mention: Eric Verbugt (The Netherlands)
Composition: Three quarks for Muster Mark! for solo guitar
2016 MIGF Composition Competition Results
Emerging Composers Category Winner: Samuel M. Wells
Composition: “stringstrung for solo guitar and digital media”
Emerging Composers Category Honorable Mention: Nathan L. Bredeson
Composition: “Hommage à Paulo Bellinati for two guitars”
Young Composers Category Winner: Mallory S. Strom
Composition: “Music for Three Guitars”